How to Start an Online Business in Florida?
Entrepreneurs are choosing to be online increasingly as more and more people prefer to order products and services from the convenience of their home or office. There have been increased investments from the computing technology industry and e-commerce has become the trend for many product and service oriented businesses. You can also start an online business in Florida and become a part of the e-commerce revolution and this guide will show you how exactly you can achieve that. The guide provides a brief outline of benefits of doing business online in Florida, trending online business ideas in Florida, preparation of a business plan, registering such a business, licensing and permits, and regulatory requirements of the state.
Online Business in Florida
Online Business is also known as electronic business or e-business and entails any form of commercial or business transaction over the internet. If you start an online business in Florida in the services industry then it may include sharing of information amongst businesses, individuals, and groups using the internet as a medium of communication. However, if you are planning to sell goods or products then you will have to start an ecommerce business in Florida. E-Commerce is known as electronic commerce and is an integral aspect of online businesses as it involves electronic funds transfer, inventory management, supply chain management, automated data collection systems, and online processing of transactions.
There are different types of e-commerce business categories but the most popular models are the Business to Consumer (B2C) and the Business-to-Business (B2B). You will require an online business license in Florida if you are planning to buy and sell products or services using electronic channels exclusively.
For example: You are an entrepreneur with an idea to sell services as a wedding photographer. Instead of e-commerce, you will need to start an online business in Florida offering photography services. Now, if you plan to sell your photographs, different types of clothing, mugs, jute bags etc., using your pictures then your business will become an e-commerce enterprise. Either way, it will be considered as a Business to Consumer (B2C) business.
What are the biggest benefits of doing business online in Florida?
Florida has a pro-business climate and along with a state-of-the-art infrastructure as well as a skilled workforce; the state is considered the perfect starting point for any new business. Florida provides a cost-efficient alternative to some of the better known high-tech states and this is beneficial if you are planning to start an online business in Florida. Let’s take a look at some of the biggest benefits of operating an online business in Florida.
- Access to the Internet – Florida internet coverage and availability is one of the most important deciding factors if you are planning to start an online business in Florida. According to a survey report by BroadbandNow, 96.8% of Florida residents have access to high speed internet services. This means that if you were to start an ecommerce business in Florida then you will be able to reach 96.8 percent of customers in the state.
- Global Audience – There are several benefits of high speed internet services and one of the top benefits is being able to reach out to a global audience. Since Florida has a high internet coverage and availability, it is great for e-commerce and home-based businesses. If you start an online business from home in Florida, you will be able to provide a variety of services to a global audience.
- Business Incentives – Whether you start an ecommerce business in Florida or operate an offline brick and mortar retail outlet; you will be able to leverage the business incentives provided by state and local counties. There are tax credit programs based on the industry like the services or information technology industry that you can benefit from and you can also apply for grants.
Top online business ideas in Florida
Florida is home to a large number of startups and most of these companies have evolved from a single business idea. If you already have a business idea or are looking for an idea to start an online business in Florida then there is plenty to choose from. There are some ideas that are trending and there are some that have had a slow start. Some of the top ideas to start an online business from home in Florida are:
- Online Retail – One of the best ideas is to start an online business in Florida in the retail segment. You don’t have to necessarily compete with the big e-commerce portals because you can create your own niche like selling your designs and artwork or selling baked products.
- Translation Services – This is one of highly valued services where an online business license in Florida is not required as long as you are working as a freelancer. You may require proper certifications though. This type of services can be used for translating documents, projects, and also for communication purposes.
- Social Media Consulting – One of the top and trending online business ideas in Florida is that of social media consulting. This is a type of business segment, which can be conducted online as the objective is to reach out to a target audience and engage them using various social networking channels.
Starting an Online Business in Florida
Florida offers a robust platform and startup resources for all types of online or e-commerce businesses but first you need to form a new business. The following processes will help you in understanding the state and business specific requirements as well as documentation to start an online business in Florida.
1.Prepare your Florida online business idea and plan
Your business idea is the most important aspect as it will provide the first step towards creating a business plan. In order to start an online business in Florida, you need to have a business plan as it will provide you with the information you require to launch and sustain your online business successfully. You can use the internet to see how other entrepreneurs are converting their ideas into sustainable startups. Although a business plan is created based on online business ideas in Florida, there are certain key components of the plan, which remains the same for most forms of businesses. These components are:
- Business objective and mission
- Your short and long-term goals
- Defining the targeted online demographic profile
- Existing online market for your idea
- Providing a value proposition
- Creating a revenue model
- Defining benefits of the online service or product
- Developing a strong internet marketing strategy
- Defining risks
- A financial plan regarding scaling of business
2. Choose your online business name
Once you have an idea, you can start your business over the internet and obtain an online business license in Florida. All this will be possible only after you have chosen a business name as it is important towards giving the brand or the idea an identity. Here are some tips for choosing a name for an online business:
- Keep the name short, simple, and memorable
- The name should have a connection to what the business offers
- Since, it will be for an online business, ensure the domain name is available
- In order to reserve the business name with Florida State, check for name availability
- Follow all business naming requirements mentioned in Florida statutes
If the said online business idea in Florida is a home-based business or a sole proprietorship then check with the U.S. Patent & Trademark Office to ensure there are no name copyright infringements.
3. Choose a business structure for your online business
A business structure is quite important to any new startup and one of the most popular forms of online business is sole proprietorship. This is a type of online company that is operated by an individual or a single owner. There are several other forms of businesses that you can consider if you are planning to start an online business in Florida. These structures include:
- Limited liability companies
- Subchapter C corporations
- Professional service corporations
- Sole proprietorships
- General partnerships
- Limited partnerships
- Limited liability partnerships
- Family limited partnerships
- Foreign unincorporated associations
- Corporations Not for Profit
There are some important aspects to keep in mind while choosing a structure to help you start an ecommerce business in Florida. The aspects are:
- Formation documentation and other paperwork needed
- The tax obligation for the chosen business structure
- The registration cost
- The liability and corresponding risks
- The benefits of your chosen structure
4. Register your online business
Whether you start an online business from home in Florida or operate an e-commerce startup from a brick and mortar commercial space; you will need to register the business in the state. This process is also known as new business formation or incorporation. The registration process will be different for different business structures and has to be followed up by obtaining an online business license in Florida to make the company operational.
We at IncParadise are one of the reputable Florida registered agents and have a team of experienced professionals who can help you with the incorporation or registration process in Florida. We have helped many new business owners to start an online business in Florida.
Start your online business in Florida today!
5. Obtain all necessary licenses and permits for online business
If you are thinking of taking your idea online then there are plenty of online business ideas in Florida to choose from. Florida offers the opportunity and resources to entrepreneurs and startups so that they can form a new business and start capitalizing on state incentives, tax credits, and resources. It is important to register your new business with the Division of Corporations but it is more important to apply for and obtain an online business license in Florida. If you have formed a business and not applied for a license or permit then you will not be able to make your business operational. If you operate without a business license then there will be a penalty.
The type of online business license in Florida required by your company will depend on two factors and they are:
- The nature of business or online business ideas in Florida like baked goods online, grocery online, consultancy, advertising services, and Information tech companies among others.
- Licensing and permits will also depend on the city or county your business operates from.
If you are planning to start an ecommerce business in Florida then you may require a general business license also known as business tax receipts or permits for specific industries or professions. Depending on the type of business activity, you may require business tax receipts as well as permits or online business license in Florida. You may even require multiple licenses.
Do you require more information regarding Florida Business Licenses?
6. Buy a domain and set up the website for your business
Whether you are a freelance wedding photographer planning to start an online business from home in Florida or want to take your existing small business online; you will need a website. A website is the foremost way of connecting to a larger and global audience over the internet. You can hire an in-house web designer or hire services globally depending on your budget for designing a website. You can also choose custom website design templates depending on the product or service you are offering. A website can also be integrated with a payment gateway and shopping cart and these are important aspects to keep in mind when you start an online business in Florida.
In order to start a website, you would need to book a domain name first. Let’s look at an example to understand the domain name aspect.
Example: If you are planning to start an online business in Florida that will be creating custom T-shirts or FL t-shirts and if the name of your company is GatorsFL then you need to search for a domain name with the words “GatorsFL”. It is always recommended to book your domain name with an ICANN-accredited registrar. There are different types of domain name extensions that you can choose from like .com, .net, .org, .co, and .us among others. If your domain name is available like “GatorsFL.com” then all you have to do is go ahead and register it. Normally, you can book a domain name for 3, 6, or 12 months and the maximum registration period is 10 years. The cost will vary according to the time period you are booking for and the domain name extension.
7. Get EIN
If you are planning to start an online business in Florida then depending on your business structure, annual sales, and activity, different types of Florida taxes may be applicable. For Example: If your business is a limited liability company and you are selling grocery online then you may be levied sales and use tax. Hence, you will be required to apply for and obtain an employer identification number (EIN) before you start an ecommerce business in Florida. The EIN number will be issued by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS).
8. Open a bank account
Once you have obtained your online business license in Florida it is extremely important to open a business bank account. A business bank account will be important in segregating your personal income and expenses from your business gains and expenses. Since the revenue generated is much higher when you start an ecommerce business in Florida, having a business bank account will ensure you are able to keep track of all business related expenses.
9. Comply with taxes and other regulatory requirements
Once you start an online business in Florida, you will be required to comply with annual maintenance as well as tax requirements of the state. Some of the important requirements include:
- Once you have obtained an online business license in Florida, it is important to ensure timely renewal. The renewal time and fee may vary depending on the county your business is operating from and the governing or issuing authority of the license.
- As part of annual maintenance, you will be required to file an annual report in the state of Florida.
- If you start an ecommerce business in Florida, you may be levied different forms of taxes. The filing of taxes ensures your business enjoys an active status and remains in the good books of the state authorities.
10. Market your business
Marketing is a very important aspect of online businesses as you are looking at an audience that is not going to walk into your store and buy but instead will be ordering using a laptop or a mobile application. Before you start an online business in Florida, you need to have a marketing plan in place that will comprise of the following elements:
- Search Engine Optimized content
- Visuals for strengthening your brand, product or service
- Use of Mobile commerce (m-commerce) to reach more customers
- Digital marketing strategies and campaigns
- Promoting your products or services using email marketing
Looking to start an online business in Florida?
You can start a new business based on different types of online business ideas in Florida thanks to high internet access in the state. Even though you are planning to start an online business in Florida, there is a specific process based on Florida statutes that you will have to follow. IncParadise can assist you with ensuring you are able to form your online or e-commerce company with ease.
IncParadise is one of the most reputed Florida registered agents and we have helped thousands of companies to start their own businesses in Florida. We also have a team of experts who can guide you through the process of starting your online business in Florida.