Business registration in Oklahoma follows a specific a process but what do you do next after your business has been registered? The next step is to identify whether your company, corporation, LLC, or partnership firm requires a business license to operate in the state. Some businesses may require licenses while others may require permits. It is important to know however that not every business entity in the state needs a license. General business licenses in the state are issued for the following types of businesses or sectors:
- Restaurants and bars
- Transportation services
- Consumer credit services
Check the Oklahoma Business License List
Oklahoma Business License Requirements
Some businesses require statewide business licenses while others have to apply for a license issued by the city or county within which the business is situated or planning to operate from. Who issues the licenses? Which business entities require a license and which require permits? What are the requirements for obtaining a business license in Oklahoma? These are important questions and hence we have created a guide to provide relevant information regarding the same.
Here is a step-by-step approach towards acquiring a business license in the state of Oklahoma.
Step#1: The Industry or Business Type
How would you know what type of business or professional license is required to operate in Oklahoma? The type of industry or the activities of a business entity helps in identifying the type of business license required. It is important to know that different types of licenses and permits are issued by different state agencies.
Let’s look at an example to understand this well.
- Airport or Heliport Business – You will require a business license and it will be issued by the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA). The fee is dependent on the following services:
– Public heliport or airport license: $50
– Private heliport or airport license: $30
- Food Service Establishment – You will require a license. Food establishment refers to a permanent, temporary, or mobile establishment where food is served, or is prepared or stored for retail sale. The fee will vary according to the type of food establishment. For example, the fee for a Food Service Establishment Class A, B, or C with 10 or less employees is $50 while those with 25 or more employees is $100. There will also be additional fees if there is a frozen dessert plant ($150).
The inspection is conducted by the Oklahoma City County Health Department (OCCHD) and once approved business license in Oklahoma is issued by the Oklahoma Tax Commission (OTC).
Step#2: Licenses issued by City/County
If your business or industry type doesn’t fall under a statewide license then you will have to check with the local city or county office. A business license in Oklahoma can also be issued by local counties or cities in which the business is located. Let’s look at an example to understand this.
If you were to establish a hotel business in the City of Tulsa then you will require an Oklahoma company license from the City of Tulsa Finance Department pursuant to Title 21, Chapter 16 of the Tulsa Revised Ordinances (Hotel Licensing). The fee schedule is pro-rated for initial issuance and there is an additional processing fee as well. The license fee is different for different months. For instance, the fee for January is $75 while that of December is $18.75.
Some of the other licenses issued to businesses in the City of Tulsa include Mobile Vendor or Outdoor Seller, Pawnbroker, Recreation Center including Youth Recreation Facility and Family Recreation Center, Sexually Oriented Businesses, Taxi and Para-Transit Service including horse-drawn carriages and Physically limited transport.
Step#3: Issuance of a Business License
How is a business license in Oklahoma issued? You have to identify the following to complete the process:
- The type of business or industry
- Do you need a license or a permit?
- Will it be issued by the state or the county?
Once you have identified the above, all you need to do is either download the application online or contact the concerned state department or city of clerk office.
It is important to note that a business license or permit will have to be renewed annually unless specific dates have been mentioned, to keep the business operational.