How to get a Certificate of Good Standing in California?
If you are setting up a new business in the state then a California certificate of good standing will be helpful in ensuring that you can operate your business in the state without any problems. So how can you obtain the certificate of existence? Is there a process? We have created a step by step approach keeping in mind, the requirements of different businesses.
1. Type of Business
What type of business are you planning to set up in the state of California? Will it be an LLC or a Professional Corporation? Identifying the type of business is important as some businesses don’t require a good standing certificate.
2. Type of Status
It is important for businesses to maintain an active California business status so that they can enjoy the privileges of specific businesses in the state. A domestic or foreign business corporation can be suspended or forfeited pursuant to CA Corp Code § 2206 (2016) and CA Corp Code § 2205 (2016) and LLC’s can be suspended pursuant to Title 2.6 California Revised Uniform Limited Liability Company Act, section 17713.10. Once, a business is suspended they will have to clear their dues, penalties, franchise tax etc., and submit it along with a certificate of good standing for reinstatement.
You have to provide information specified by the Secretary of the State or California Statutes in your order request for a California certificate of good standing. The following information needs to be provided by a business entity applying for the certificate of status:
- Name of the business entity as filed in the Articles of Incorporation and Articles of organization
- Date of formation or registration of the business entity
- Physical address of the business entity
- The name of the Registered agent and their address
- Confirmation of payment of all types of fees, franchise tax as well as penalties if any that was due to the secretary of state
4. Order Request
In order to ensure good California business status, you can file the certificate of existence or good standing with the office of the Secretary of State – Business Programs Division. It can be done in the following ways:
- By Mail: You can request for certificate through mail. You will be required to mail the “Business Entities Records – Order Form” to Secretary of State – Business Programs Division, Business Entities – Records, P.O. Box 944260, Sacramento, CA 94244-2600.
- In person: You can also submit the request for California certificate of good standing in person with the Secretary of State – Business Programs Division, 1500 11th Street, Sacramento, CA 95814 from Monday through Friday between 8:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m., excluding state holidays.
- Online: One of the fastest ways to receive a good California business status certificate is by applying Online. We at IncParadise, offer an online request or order option for businesses in the state so that it can be processed as early as possible.
Order California Certificate of Good Standing Today!