Nevada LLC Name Requirement
The Nevada LLC name requirement is an important aspect of business formation in the state and is governed by Chapter 86 of the Nevada LLC Act. Naming requirements for a business entity can be categorized under two subsections and they are:
- Naming Guidelines
- Name Availability Check
A business name is integral to any organization and is one of the most important aspects of forming an LLC in Nevada. There are certain naming requirements governed by the Nevada LLC Law that businesses will have to comply with. Let us look at the key naming guidelines as set forth in the 2013 Nevada Revised Statutes.
- The name of your business entity must contain phrases like Limited-Liability Company, Limited Liability Company, Limited Company or Limited. The name may also contain abbreviations like L.L.C., Ltd., LLC or LC. The word “company” can also be abbreviated as Co. This is governed by Nevada LLC Act – NV Rev Stat § 86.171 (2013).
- The proposed name of your business entity should be distinguishable from any other name on the records maintained by the Secretary of State.
- The business name should not contain words or phrases that could be confused with government agencies like state departments, treasury, department of taxation etc.
- The Nevada LLC Law, Title 7 of the Nevada Revised Statutes, advocates that the usage of certain words in a business entity name may be restricted.
Note: If you are planning to form a professional limited liability company then the naming guidelines according to Nevada LLC Act must contain specific words and phrases. The name should contain words like Professional Limited Liability Company or abbreviations like “Prof. L.L.C.,” “P.L.L.C.,” or “PLLC”.
Name Availability Check
Once you have identified a business name that is compliant with all requirements of the Chapter 86 – Nevada LLC Act, the next step is to check if the chosen name is available so that you can reserve it with the Secretary of State.
You can use the state portal for Nevada Business Search to check the availability of your chosen business name. In order to accomplish an effective search, you will have to type the business name without any identifiers like L.L.C or LLC as mentioned in Nevada LLC Law. This search will return names that are either the same as chosen by you or similar. Let’s look at an example:
- If you search the name “Ibiscus” and choose the option “Name Starts With” then it will show the result as -“No records found with your search criteria.”
- If you search the name “Ibiscus” and choose the option “Name Contains” then it will show the result as – “Your Search Criteria returns 300 results”. It will show information like Name of the business entity, its status, filing date, type of entity, business ID and entity number.
It is highly recommended to conduct a detailed search using all possible parameters prior to applying for name reservation.